Frames and footrest assembly

Securing the Frames
Initially the frames were screwed to the adjacent deck beam. Then the stringers were run over them to check that they lined up properly; this is what was happening in the last picture of the previous post:
The centre few frames did need to be adjusted quite a bit. I suspect that I had not measured the sheer correctly earlier on before drawing up the plans.
That done a hole was drilled into each deck beam about and inch out from the gunwale and a quarter of inch in from the frame, and through them each frame lashed to the adjacent gunwales:
Once the necessary number of turns were in place, the lashings were tightened by taking the remainder of the waxed twine round two or more rows of twine and pulling them together with a series of half hitches. Finally the screws were removed - I did not find it necessary to add wooden pegs.

Footrest Assembly
Although this is a personal preference I think I will continue to fit this arrangement to my boats. Having done a lot of kayak racing I do not enjoy pushing splayed feet against foot pegs on the gunwales. I prefer to push the boat forward with my feet as near to the centre of the boat as possible, and my knees together inside of the knee bars.  This does not inhibit my ability to roll - the knees can be moved inside the bars in an instant; having done some tests with a heart rate monitor and GPS I am convinced that this arrangement results in a more efficient stroke.
The photo below shows the completed structure with foot pegs:
Apart from the  foot-pegs screwed to their cedar supports which were in turn glued to their ply backing, everything else was lashed. The box like structure which joined the footpegs and their supports to the gunwales and the two raised deck beams, was filleted together with epoxy in the previous boat; but this time I would see how lashing the whole thing worked: the boat is for my personal use so I can please myself. You can also see the slight downward slope of the pegs in their rails to reflect the angle of the feet.


This picture of the upside down assembly, and the next give some idea of the way it all fitted together.
In case you are wondering, I left the stubs of the cut off oak ribs proud. You can see them sticking out of the gunwales. I thought - should I need to, they would be easier to remove completely from their mortises were it necessary.
The next post should see the completion of the full structure.

Comments

Popular Posts