Following on from the last post, the top and bottom of the cockpit are faired and then as shown below the top and bottom inside corners are well rounded with a spokeshave. This is to make sure that the fabric does not snag when being fitted to the cockpit, and also so that the paddler does not snag getting in and out of the boat.
You just see the small epoxy fillet I put round the base of the rim beforehand. The cockpit is then finished off with about two hours hand sanding starting with 60 grade, then 120 and then really fine. It will be coated with the skin.
This photo of the finished cockpit also shows how the back strap is held in place, more of this later.
Footbraces and backstrap
After the first fitting showed the thigh brace to be too far forward this was moved back and lashed and pinned in place after glueing on a couple of thin pads of wood to the ends. This was to fill out the slightly greater beam a couple of inches back.
My initial attempts to support the footbraces added to the growing pile of firewood in a corner. Until
eventually I realized that it was possible to make a support that was held on three sides - to the gunwale and the two deck beams on either side. The photo below shows them about to be epoxied
with a water based oil that will not prevent adhesion of the epoxy to the wooden surfaces. It's dark colour enabled me to ensure all of the surface is wetted twice.