A new Skin on Frame Kayak

Please find my first post on Blogspot. Facebook although OK for photographs was not very good at displaying larger amounts of text. Then I tried the Word Press website with links to the facebook group but that had a rather inaccessible address, hence the first post here about a kayak I have just started to build. This may be the last of skin on frame as I have wished to move on to epoxy ply or glass-fibre for some time.
I was unable to make a copy of Brian Schultz's F1 kayak http://www.capefalconkayak.com/f1.html as requested by Tom, however as Brian's design was based on the Mariner Coaster of the 1990's (copyrightretained) ; http://www.marinerkayaks.com  I was able to go back to that as part of the source material from which to make a design that would work in British waters rather than the North West American coast.
Here we have smaller waves and more wind, so my design whilst retaining many characteristics would have a lower profile. Below are a few of the stages starting with the F1 in the top left corner and the plan from which the sections are lofted at the bottom right. This will need adjustment for gunwale curve corrections in the early stages of putting the frame together.  14 feet long, 23.5'' beam, I have given it the name "Lowen" - Cornish for fun.
Since then I have started preparing the wood-stock including the gunwales from a piece of  Cornish Cedar (shown below) from the Crockadon Estate near St Mellion.

before I can do anything else I have to finish renovating the Polynesian outrigger hull that is cluttering up the workshop so that I can put it on ebay and be rid of it.



Comments

Popular Posts